Colorado's Healthcare Heritage
Updates to Volume One — 1882
Harvey W. Wiley, MD
Dr. Harvey W. Wiley — a native of Kent, Indiana, who had received his MD in 1871 from Indiana Medical College — became chief chemist for the US Department of Agriculture. In 1902, Congress appropriated $5,000 for a study of the effects of various food preservatives on human subjects, and the USDA Bureau of Chemistry was created.
Dr. Wiley was rightly called "the father of the Pure Food and Drug Act" when it was passed in 1906. In 1927, the Bureau was reorganized as the Food, Drug, and Insecticide Administration. In 1931, the name of the agency was changed to the Food and Drug Administration.
1882 — Colorado Fuel and Iron Company Hospital, Pueblo
In 1901, Richard W. Corwin, MD, told the story of the early years of what became Minnequa Hospital:
The Colorado Fuel and Iron Company Hospital had a modest beginning. At first a company house, located near the steel works, was converted into a suitable building for the comfort of the sick and injured, and accommodations for fifteen patients secured. . . .
Dr. Corwin listed the medical staff of the hospital in 1882:
In the fall of 1882, the Colorado Coal and Iron Company and the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad Company jointly erected a brick hospital on the mesa of Pueblo with accommodations for 30 patients, the temporary hospital building at Bessemer being retained as a dispensary. . . .
At the time the Colorado Coal and Iron Company had three iron camps, four coal camps and a steel plant at Bessemer. (Denver Medical Times, November 1901, pp. 229-223)
- Dr. Cochran of the US Army at Fort Garland
- Richard W. Corwin, MD, at the hospital
- John Grass, MD, of Trinidad
- A.T. King, MD, of Coal Creek
- Dr. Martin of Walsenburg
- J.T. O'Connor, MD, of Salida
- J.N. Pascoe, MD, at the hospital
- Dr. Snyder of Crested Butte
Return to Updates Index
Return to Top
Copyright © 2013 Thomas J. Sherlock
All Rights Reserved.