A larger version of the cover photo is here.
Return to the Homepage
Cover photo: Sisters of Mercy from St. Nicholas Hospital walking along Bennett Avenue in Cripple Creek during the late 1890s.
St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church and St. Nicholas Hospital are at top left — above and behind the dark building with the "Van Camp's Pork and Beans" sign.
Answer to a frequently asked question: those utility poles are there because Cripple Creek received service from the Colorado Telephone Company beginning in 1894.
Photo courtesy of the Cripple Creek District Museum, Cripple Creek, Colorado, and the Sisters of Mercy Archives, Omaha, Nebraska.
Colorado's Healthcare Heritage — Volume One: 1800-1899 is now available in softcover and as an eBook.
Return to the Bibliography
Copyright © 2013 Thomas J. Sherlock
All Rights Reserved.